Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Easy Gluten-Free Biscuits

Someone's missing a gluten-free biscuit.

In cutting back on gluten in my diet, one thing I missed the most was biscuits.  The gluten-free ones I tried were like bricks.
But I've had great luck with baking with King Arthur gluten-free flour so when I saw they had a gluten-free baking mix, I immediately ordered some from their website. It's packed in a certified gluten-free facility and comes with a number of recipes on the box including the biscuits, pancakes, waffles, and a yummy looking coffee cake.

You can order at the


website if your grocers do not carry it.  The website also has dozens and dozens of gluten-free recipes as well as tips on gluten-free baking in general.  The mix is composed of mostly of whole grain brown rice flour with xanthan gum and leavening (to save you the steps of adding) and it has ZERO grams of sugar.  Just top with a little regular or vegan "butter" and some sugar-free jam for a delicious treat.

The biscuits are super easy to make, even if you don't normally bake things from scratch.  Just put 2 and 1/4 cups of the mix in the bowl and add two large eggs and a cup of cream (or use full-fat coconut milk if you can't do dairy). 
You mix it with a big spoon just until it holds together in a ball.
Then place it on a cutting board that's lightly dusted with the baking mix and with dry hands fold it over (like you were folding a piece of paper for a letter) 4 times.  

Then cut (I used a wineglass sprayed with a little non stick spray as my biscuit cutter went missing) and bake at 400 degrees F (200 C.). for 16-18 minutes.
They sure looked tall and fluffy.  Let's see about the taste.

They are slightly drier than my gluten-laden biscuits but a dab of butter took care of that and they were VERY fluffy and light with a slightly crisp exterior and a very soft interior.  Yum!  Even my "I hate gluten-free" husband" scarfed down two of them ignoring the dinner rolls from the bakery.
I'm going to make another batch this weekend, with some sausage gravy made with the King Arthur gluten-free flour.

Thanks King Arthur flour.  These were a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.