Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Simply Organic - Pasta Quick and Easy

Spaghetti is one of my favorite foods.  As a kid who wouldn't eat pasta sauce until I was about ten (my Mom would explain to the waitress on the rare meal out -" yes, just buttered noodles"), I love it now and eat it two or three times a month.  I often make spaghetti squash or zucchini "zoodles" if I'm cutting back on non-complex carbs but a small plate with veggies fits in with any meal plan, especially if you use very lean meat or veggie proteins.

But I often don't have time on a work night to make sauce from scratch and that's usually when I check the freezer for pre-made frozen sauce to find out we used the last of it the previous week. The jarred sauces are either  gourmet expensive or full of corn syrup (in the cheaper ones.)  The packaged seasoning mixes to add to your tomatoes often have a lot of salt, sugar, AND MSG as well as stuff I can't pronounce (and with a Ph. D in one of the forensic sciences, I've taken more organic chemistry than should be allowed by law).

What's a healthy cook to do?
Simply Organic Spaghetti Sauce Mix

Link  (cut and paste in your browser)

https://www.simplyorganic.com/

Simply Organic is part of a member-owned co-op responsible to people and planet and has a wide assortment of some really great seasonings, this is just the first time I've tried the pasta sauce.

I found the product at a neighboring village's health food store (small family place) and it made an excellent sauce. I've also seen it at larger chain neighborhood grocers.  I simply added to a 15 ounce can of Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes (worth a few extra cents), a couple of shakes of extra dried basil, a shake or two of crushed red pepper and a teaspoon of raw honey (because I refuse to leave any recipe un-tweaked). 

It has organic cornstarch in it already so you can thicken up the sauce without adding extra tomato paste which cuts down on prep time. With a small can of drained and rinsed sliced  black olives and 3/4 pound veggie "beef" crumbles, it made an excellent low fat, pasta sauce that was not only thick and fresh tasting - it was on the table in 30 minutes!

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.