Sunday, July 3, 2016

Talking Turkey - More Meat Free Meal Ideas

Today started with vegan French toast made with leftover sourdough English muffin bread (recipe in an earlier post)


1 heaping Tbsp chia seeds (whole or ground into a fine meal so they're undetectable)
1/2 Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup (or sub honey if not vegan)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4-5 slices bread (it's important to use a sturdy, rustic bread or it can turn out soggy/soft)

Mix and put in your refrigerator and let sit 15-20 minutes so the chia seeds can gel up for a nice batter.  Dip your bread lightly in the mixture and cook in your cast iron pan.


Lunch was Gardein brand turk'y cutlets -  a new product in their line. With that was some wonderful kale my personal trainer Birgit brought over from her garden Thursday, served with a vinaigrette, with rice, hummus and some mutant carrots (note to husband, please buy BIG carrots :-)

The "gravy" included with the cutlets was a bit lumpy though it had a nice taste so next time I think I'll just top with a squeeze of lemon.  The cutlets were amazing and tasted just like turkey. They are NOT gluten free but they have WAY less artificial ingredients than other faux "meats" on the market. Gardein products are, by far, are still my favorite vegetarian meat substitutes and they are reasonably priced.
Snacks were an apple and later some popcorn to which I added a Tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast right after cooking, shaking with the pan cover on so the powder sticks. It gives the popcorn a nice almost nutty/cheesy taste while adding B vitamins, protein, and fiber. My husband tried it and said it was really tasty as well.
Dinner - was "flying Frisbee's"", which is what we call tostados in our house. Leftover corn tortillas were heated in the cast pan until slightly crispy, then covered in non-fat refried beans, cumin/oregano/chili powder, Scoville Brothers cowboy crooner hot sauce infused TVP, and topped with some vegan cheddar, finely grated, lettuce and some yummy peach/mango salsa. 

4 comments:

  1. I have been toying with the idea of eating fewer animal products. What I have decided to embrace is generally during the week (because weekends are too unpredictable and to be honest I want my pancakes made with eggs on Sundays) I won't eat any animal products before dinner. On nights I cook for myself (so generally once per week) unless there are leftovers, I only cook vegetarian. I think this will help with my consumption.
    There was a really interesting podcast discussion on consuming animals on Rewild Yourself - episode 94 - Why I'm not a vegan. You may enjoy it. It gave me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a pretty amazing discussion, As someone with a strong anthropological background (education wise) his points were spot on. I just can't abide by the whole factory farming, so eat enough quality protein to stay healthy, while adding more whole grain based products.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks delicious! As I was reading I wondered if you were still working with the trainer and then about 2 sentences later you answered that question!

    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - she really puts a lot of thought into the workouts - each week is different so we have some fun with it and she has at least one new "challenge" she will coach me through. I'll keep working with her weekly until winter (she lives out in the country and travel then would be a challenge). Then we'll just hit it a couple of times a month when it's not snowy or icy.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.