Monday, July 18, 2016

Herdsman Chili

Chili tends to be a dish most people make in winter - but I like to make a pot in the summer on the weekend.  (and yes, I have enough friend in Texas to know it's technically considered chili with beans but I'm an author, I'm going to write it my way :-)

It's a way to crock pot cook so I don't have to heat the oven and leftovers are great on a baked potato or a piece of cornbread with a big salad or in a Tupperware with chopped raw vegetables and some fruit for dessert for a tote-able lunch to work during the following week.


2  pounds veggie "beef" crumbles
1 sweet onion chopped
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 bell pepper finely chopped
1 cup carrots julienned then chopped  (I use my "zoodle" tool from Amazon)
1/2 - 1 cup celery (whatever you have on hand)
1 jalapeno, de-seeded and chopped
can of tomato sauce
1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (I LOVE Muir Glenn fire-roasted organic)
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon molasses
1 can black beans drained
1 can kidney beans drained
2 Tablespoons Penzey's Chili 9000 (or your favorite chili powder)
1 Tablespoon oregano
1 Tablespoon basil
1 Tablespoon Cumin
dash of Scoville Brothers Singing Smoke hot sauce (or your favorite)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (use a pinch if you want it milder)

Saute onion and garlic (if using) in a pan over medium heat. Add with your protein to slow cooker with remaining ingredients.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.

Top with tortilla strips, veggie sour cream substitute, and non-dairy cheese.

Note:  I've also made this and used just black beans, replacing the celery with finely chopped sweet potato. and substituted a small shot of tequila for the honey and molasses - YUMMY!

2 comments:

  1. I am going to have to find a tomato substitute so I can make that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. perhaps some pureed pumpkin with some pureed red bell peppers in the mix for taste and color.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.