Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Gluten Free Coffee Mug Muffin

My IBS was doing better with the great reduction in wheat and dairy. The extra beans from adding in more vegetarian meals, was taking that progress away from me and my gut does NOT like soy products as I get older.

So I'm going to be adding in more lean grass fed and free range animal protein and paleo protein shakes, still doing at least one vegetarian (no soy or beans) meal once a day, and a veggie only day with high protein vegetables, some ancient grains or gluten-free bread with a little nut butter for protein twice a week. I've got a grass fed, ethically raised, had its own smart phone and personal trainer, chuck roast from Whole Foods that cost as much as a small car in some countries in the crockpot with some garlic, beef stock, and balsamic vinegar reduction to have for dinner with mashed cauliflower and some steamed carrots on the side.

But today, after a lunch of coconut yogurt with a Tablespoon of berries and an apple, I was hankering for both bread and sweet and modified a recipe I found online to make this.

An easy, super moist muffin in less than 4 minutes, with NO wheat flour and white sugar
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Mug Muffin

Spray a coffee mug with nonstick spray.

In a cereal bowl melt 1 Tablespoon butter or coconut oil
Stir in:
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons applesauce
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon honey (or use sugar if you want a vegan version)
1 egg or equivalent vegan egg substitute.

Whisk in until smooth:
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons almond flour (do not substitute)

On top sprinkle:
heaping tablespoon of finely chopped apple
pinch of finely chopped walnuts
two small pieces of a thin shaving of butter or vegan buttery spread

Pour into mug and microwave 1 minute 15 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds (microwaves vary, when it's done, it will be puffed up but other than the sheen from the butter it won't look wet).  

Let sit at least 3 minutes and enjoy. 


3 comments:

  1. I love almond flour - wish it wasn't so expensive! The Man makes me almond flour/millet pancakes on the weekend. I am so glad you found the foods that were making your stomach upset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That muffin looks delish! Yes, it's hard when foods start giving us troubles. I loved onions on everything but one day they started causing heartburn. So far soy is OK. I'm in trouble if it starts bothering me. As a non-cooking vegetarian I have so few options other than junk food. That goes down smoothly lol!

    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I tried to go mostly vegetarian but with IBS and wheat and soy allergy, plus lactose intolerant more and more as I get older, my choices are limited. But fat is also a trigger (after eating a fatty beef dehydrated beef stick in the truck today I think I personally melted part of the ice cap) so I stick with bison, salmon, turkey and chicken breast with lots of roasted veggies and stir fries. Gardein DOES have a couple of products with no gluten so I can do my meatless days still. I get my "treats" from some coconut or almond flour baked goods. I made these lemon bars today that were totally gluten free that were amazing.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.