Friday, April 14, 2017

A Day of Eating Challenges and the Discovery of Vegan Parmesan Cheese

Today was going to be a bit of a diet challenge. I had been sick and was low on supplies and making meat or eggs for breakfast was a no as I'm trying to eat a plant based diet.
Breakfast was super easy to whip up, even on a work day.  Coconut flour "pancake".  It's not a true pancake in taste, much more shape but it had a tender, eggy taste that was very filling and filled me up until almost 1 PM.  It made two good sized pancakes  I just ate one and it was quite filling. Less than 250 calories and no gluten or sugar (I used some sugar-free syrup on it though).

 3/4 applesauce (egg substitute)
 1/4 cup coconut flour
 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt
splash of vanilla extract
Whisk until smooth and cook  in a fry pan or griddle on medium/high in a Tablespoon of Ghee for two minutes flip and cook 1 to 2 more minutes.

Ghee is a class of clarified butter that originated in ancient India and is commonly used in South Asian, Iranian and Arabic cuisines, traditional medicine, and religious rituals.  Ghee is prepared by simmering butter, which is churned from cream, skimming any impurities from the surface, and then pouring and retaining the clear, still liquid fat, while discarding the solid residue that settled on the bottom. It packs a lot more health benefits than butter. I make my own.
Then for my packed lunch (picture is from dinner) some leftover pasta with non-dairy "Parmesan" cheese.

3/4 cup RAW cashews (not roasted)
3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (I think it's made of ground up hippies) and is Vegan and full of nutrition
3/4 teaspoon Penzey's roasted garlic powder (or your favorite garlic powder)
1/4 sea salt

Pulse in a food processor or powerful blender until the consistency of cheese (for me - pulsing a few seconds at a time for a minute).
Store refrigerated or in the freezer for longer term use.  Makes about a cup.
Served on some quinoa gluten free pasta yesterday with some olive oil and herbs this tasted EXACTLY like regular parmesan but NO dairy! I also fed a bite to my husband when he got home from a business trip without telling him and he couldn't tell.  SCORE!.

I had the leftovers for lunch today.

For an afternoon snack, some Kitchfix grain-free granola, made with nuts, coconut oil, and shredded coconut, with a coconut milk yogurt.
And dinner (for me, anyway) was just a plate of roasted veggies. Drizzled with some WHITE balsamic vinegar (a different taste) and rosemary they were awesome with a bit of salad.

Especially with a glass or two of  Frey Organic wine (my favorite white wine right now)
Honestly, I wasn't hungry at all today.  I got plenty of protein and variety.  I'd say this meat/wheat/sugar-free day was a hit.

Then time to curl up with a friend's book that Amazon delivered today.  Her delightful pet blog is

Foley Monster, Pocket, and River Song

It's a warm-hearted book of stories of so many wonderful little souls.  A good day to remember them.


2 comments:

  1. Have you considered doing a hard core elimination diet to tackle your IBS?

    Those pancakes look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more of a soy, sugar, dairy, wheat thing, and large amounts not a nibble, so it's not allergy it's just my gut doesn't like it. If this doesn't work I'll try it.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.