Saturday, March 26, 2016

DIY Energy Drinks

Before I started switching my diet over to all "real food" (except for a weekly treat ) I was getting in the habit of having a daily (or two) Vitamin Water as a boost.  They're tasty with vitamins for energy (instead of caffeine like most "energy" drinks which I don't think are good for you if you're already having coffee or tea in the morning. Plus the "Zero" ones have no calories. I was a fan of everything but the price.

They're priced quite competitively with other like products but even on sale for a buck, that's about $2 per day - $60 in a month. Look, I'm not on a tight budget, but that $60 can be put to better use.

In the efforts to eat more "REAL" food, I made my own energy drinks in a quart jar, and then used a clean recycled bottle from something else to take on the go when need be. (don't reuse  drinking water plastic bottles for beverages, they can build up some nasty bacteria in them over time as the plastic breaks down).

The base is Apple Cider Vinegar - NOT the heat treated kind in the cheap vinegar aisle but the Braggs natural apple cider with the "mother" (which is strands of proteins, enzymes and friendly bacteria that give the product a murky, cobweb-like appearance).  I love Braggs vinegar, salad dressings, olive oil and seasonings, but especially love the ACV.  I found that when drink at least 3 Tablespoons a day, I have more energy, and having some before a heavy meal, I also found myself eating less.  It also has reduced my craving for "sweets". It's a "live" food, and like my kefir and homemade whole wheat sourdough bread (which is easy to digest even for some who are gluten sensitive) I try and eat some "living" food with each meal.
Wild yeast whole wheat starter (more on that tomorrow)

There are three recipes that I played with that I like, go ahead and play around with your own. Braggs does make some great pre-mixed flavored drinks with ACV, but this is for the DIY person on a budget.

Each goes into a quarter mason jar,  then fill with water and ice made from purified water  and keep in the fridge.

Berry Blast
2/3 cup organic berry juice such as concord, acai, cranberry or a mix of several
2  Tablespoons ACV (Braggs, don't use the pasteurized kind)
Stevia (optional, to taste).

Honey/Ginger

Dissolve 2 Tablespoons honey in a cup of hot water and put in quart jar
add 2 Tablespoons ACV
add a pinch of dried ginger

Lime and the Coconut
3 Tablespoons Key Lime Juice
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
fill jar with coconut water or sparkling water.
Stevia (optional, to taste)

Even better, these cost just pennies per serving, not one to two dollars!


3 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty good! Happy Easter!!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Slurperoonies! Blessings for Easter to you all.
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy. I have been drinking a water of ginger, lemon, cucumber and mint.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.