Saturday, February 27, 2016

You Don't Climb Mountains on Raman Noodles.

I used to eat meat free just on Mondays - now I do it several times a week. It saves me a lot of money on grocery bills and is healthy when the vegetarian meals are based on real food and not white flour pasta and neon colored cheese (though I do have my box mac and cheese fix once a month).

Having a number of bean/grain dishes on hand that everyone likes is good for both the budget, not to mention being easy to store long term in emergency supplies (you could easily replace the fresh onion and garlic with dried or use a tiny bit of the Indiana spice known as "Hing" (Asafoetida powder) which you can find at HerbStop and Spices, Inc.

The following dish may not be particularly photogenic but it's one of my favorites, and about 25 cents a serving if you buy your food and spices in bulk.

Dal Bhat - a staple in the Nepalese diet, and something you will likely see for both lunch and dinner in that region It's filling, high in protein and stays with you for hours.  It's something I pack for lunch several days a week as it's cheap, surprisingly delicious and very filling, and I can eat it cold or hot depending on where I'm at.

Makes 6-8 servings

2 cups rice
4 cups water

I make mine in my all purpose steamer, 40 minutes and it's perfect.


1 sweet onion chopped
1 and 1/2 Tablespoons minced garlic (or 3 cloves of fresh garlic)
1 cup dry lentils (any variety)
3 cups water

1 -  14 1/2  ounce can diced tomatoes with liquid
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I used 1 teaspoon and it was wonderfully hot but not painfully so when paired with the rice)
1/2 teaspoon coriander (if you have it, I've made it with and without)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Start rice cooking.

In a Tablespoon  of olive oil, saute onion and garlic (or Asafoetida powder) in a large fry pan on medium heat for a couple of minutes (you want the onions soft).  Add lentils and dry cook two minutes.

Add water, cover and cook covered on medium for 15-20 minutes.

Stir in spices and tomatoes.  Cover and cook covered  20-25 minutes - until lentils are soft and the liquid has been absorbed (medium heat or just enough for a gentle simmer/steam).

Serve on rice with a squeeze of lime juice.  It is often  garnished with cilantro and chopped red pepper but I usually serve mine with just the lime juice to save time and $$.

4 comments:

  1. You can't argue with 25 cents a serving either! Having ignored beans for the most part, I have been really "into" them lately.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Dahl roti (bread and lentils) is a staple of the entire sub-continent and all the regional differences make this a far from boring dish!!! Rice (bhat in Nepali, chawal in Hindi) is fine with it - but do try with chapatti or paratha - they are made for each other!
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Indian food. I have discovered recently that lentils and I don't get along. Another food I can't eat, sigh! If I was cooking for myself I would be vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the tiny French beans called flageolet beans? They are mild in flavor and small and cook pretty quickly and might be a good substitute for lentils I get mine from Bob's Red Mill products.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.