Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Soup - R Supper

Soup, if you avoid the cream or cheese-laden varieties makes a filling and satisfying supper that's not super high in calories. The recipe is one I made up and it's been a staple in the winter for some 20 years.

Tonight was Lentil soup

3/4 pound cooked veggie "sausage"
1 medium onion chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 diced carrots
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 roasted cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 14.5 ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
2 cups dry lentils
6 cups stock (veggie, chicken or beef or a combination thereof, I used half chicken and half beef)
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
a pinch of Smoked Paprika
3/4 cup spinach, rinsed and finely chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Cook and chop sausage. Add olive oil, onions, carrots and celery and cook and stir until the onion is tender.  Stir in seasonings and cook on low for a couple of minutes.  Stir in lentils, stock, water and undrained tomatoes.  Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for an hour.  When ready to serve, stir in spinach and vinegar and heat on low 10 minutes.  Serve with a slice of baguette.

Substitutions at your own risk.  I posted this recipe elsewhere many years ago only to have someone say they made it and it was "only OK".  They substituted kidney beans for the lentils, hamburger for the sausage, left out the veggies and the garlic, substituted chili powder for the paprika,  tomato sauce for the fire roasted tomatoes and regular white vinegar for the balsamic.

I was kind and didn't say anything, but "seriously, it's not even the same recipe!"

4 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Bwwhahaha - have had that happen to me with some of my recipes; there is leeway for personalisation and variation in quantities, but to alter so many ingredients... really?? I think sounds delicious and I am a great fan of warming chunky soups in winter. When I get back to Scotland, I am assured, winter has most definitely arrived...
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE soups. It looks so yummy!! I love vegetable or chicken soup.....and the cheddar broccoli!!! dont have that much cuz of the TONS of cheese in it but I do love it. I will have to try this one.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! And this is the time for soup too!

    C

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.