Monday, May 27, 2019

Gluten Free with Cassava Flour


Since a blood test determined I was gluten sensitive and I found that typical wheat products trigger my IBS I've been playing around with a number of gluten-free recipes and mixes.  All were pretty good but they did not taste the same way as using regular white flour. Plus I'm also sensitive to almonds so the popular gluten-free almond flour was out and my husband HATES coconut so that is out as well if we're both going to eat it.

Then I found Otto's  Cassava Flour.  It's gluten free, nut free, grain, and soy free, and it works just like flour in most recipes.   I have tried other brands but NONE were as smooth and mellow tasting as Otto's.

It's made out of the yucca plant which has been around for centuries and that use the entire root (minus the peel) to make the flour, they don't just extract the starch and add xanthan gum or fillers.  An added benefit - a cup of flour has 12 grams of fiber and calcium that wheat doesn't have!

I made my Swedish waffles with it this morning and my husband did not recognize that it was "gluten-free" (he can normally tell.).  He just said "new recipe?  These are really good!"

https://www.ottosnaturals.com/

Gluten Free Swedish Waffles

In bowl mix 1 cup Otto Cassava Flour
1 tsp. sodium free baking powder
1/2 tsp. low sodium salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tablespoon sugar

In another bowl whisk (adding the butter in slowly)
1 cup milk - room temperature
splash of vanilla,
1 egg - room temperature
2 Tablespoons melted butter (NOTE:  f you are watching your fat you can reduce to 1 Tablespoon and just use a little extra non-stick spray on the waffle iron - they will taste the same).

Mix wet and dry.  The Cassava flour requires a bit more stirring than regular flour to get a smooth texture.  Place 1/3 cup batter in a Swedish waffle iron and cook until done.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.