Saturday, June 8, 2019

Fluffy AND Gluten Free

Folks, I'm really loving my Otto's gluten/nut/soy free Cassava flour (I can't do  the popular gluten-free almond flour as almonds are on my "hit list" from my IBS blood sensitivity test.)  Casssava also has 12 grams of fiber per cup and more calcium and B vitamins than regular flour.

They taste just like my regular fluffy pancakes, it just took a slight tweak to the recipe.

Otto's is made out of the yucca plant (excluding the peel) and acts just like regular flour in most recipes, just lacking the gluten and it doesn't have that artificial taste of most commercial "gluten-free" products. I've tried other brands and Otto's just simply can't be beaten.
In a large bowl mix:
1 cup Otto's cassava flour (I bought mine on Amazon)
1 tsp. no sodium baking soda (Hains)
1/2 teaspoon low sodium salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon sugar.

In another bowl mix:
1/2 cup goat milk yogurt
1/2 cup spring water or goat milk
1 splash of vanilla
1 large egg (whisked)

then slowly stream in 2 Tablespoons melted butter.

Mix wet ingredients into dry.  Stirring until combined.

You want the batter to be slightly thicker than cake batter, but less thick than brownie batter.  I ended up adding an additional l/4 cup water.

Using a small measuring cup to place batter on the oiled griddle, cook the pancakes on a slightly lower heat than regular pancakes cooking until browned on both sides. Keep them fairly small (about 4-5 inches across).  Makes 10-12. Served with Kerrygold butter and pure maple syrup.

1 comment:

  1. As I had an early morning flight I missed my pancakes today. Yours look great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.