Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Gluten-Free Swedish Waffles

One of the gadgets I'm really glad I added to my tiny kitchen was my



Yes, it was a bit pricey but I use it multiple times a month to make the waffles my husband and I have become addicted to. Swedish waffles are very, very thin, soft in the middle and delicately crispy around the edges. Almost crepe like in structure they are typically eaten in my grandmother's native land as a dessert with whipped cream and fruit,  but they also make a great light breakfast with some carbs to fuel an active day without "I ate too much too much to move" feeling of the traditional Belgium waffle.

But I'm cutting back on gluten. I'm only sensitive to it according to blood tests not allergic, but it has helped my IBS to cut back. So how to make a gluten-free Swedish waffle that's doesn't taste like packing material? It's all in the flours. With a little experimenting, this recipe made waffles my "don't tell me it's gluten-free again?" (and add "gluten-free face)  husband gave an enthusiast 2 thumbs up and it doesn't require the usual addition of xanthan gum.

The Recipe makes 5-6 waffles (2 servings) and would easily double or triple if feeding a crowd (they only take a couple minutes to cook so it's easy to make a bigger batch if you're feeding a family.

One bit of advice, do not add more than 1/3 cup batter at a time to the waffle iron and you won't have any spillage that means extra clean up. Trust me on this. 1/3 doesn't look like enough when you add it but if you add more you'll have a mess.  Made correctly this waffle iron is a breeze to clean.

Gluten Free Swedish Waffles

With a combination of 2 gluten-free flours and flax meal, you'll have a whole grain, light, fiber filled waffle that's light as a feather and no one would guess it as "gluten-free".

In one bowl mix:

1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons goat milk kefir (or coconut yogurt if you are dairy free)
1/2 cup milk or nut milk
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons melted butter (or coconut oil) streamed in slowly while whisking

In another bowl mix:

1/2 cup oat flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
2 Tablespoons coconut flour (I used NOW brand)
1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal (NOT whole flaxseeds, meal has the consistency of flour)
1 Tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix wet and dry ingredients and let sit 15 minutes.   Add to a pre-heated Swedish waffle iron (sprayed with non-stick spray) 1/3 cup at a time and cook per waffle iron directions (mine beeps when they are done).  Serve with fruit and whipped cream or butter and maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.