Thursday, October 27, 2016

Juicy!


I've always been a fan of  drinking lots of liquids, water especially, which has helped my skin tremendously. I gave up Diet Coke a few years back (I was drinking a couple cans a day) and was amazed how my skin cleared up when I stopped.

Smoothies are consumed probably 5 times a week, but I was wanting to add juices, natural ones, not the ones from the store with additives and sometimes extra sugar added.

I picked up the New York "Times Best Seller by Joe Cross - "The Reboot with Joe Juice Diet".  Now, I didn't pick it up specifically to lose weight, but to greatly increase my phytonutrients, and get away from sports drinks or other sugary afternoon temptations. It has a plan for incorporating juice into your diet as well as a number of great juice receipes and vegan recipes for your non juice meals.
I owned a juicer years ago, and honestly, sold it at a garage sale as it was a #%)@ to clean, and weighed about 87 pounds.  I did some online search for "easy to clean" juicers and came up with a Breville Juice Fountain Compact which can be found at Amazon and other places online for right about $100 with a year warranty.

Not surprisingly, as I started reading Joe's book, that's what he used when he documented his 60 days of driving and juicing across the country in the hit film "Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead" which was very informative and entertaining.

So I asked for one for my anniversary.  I know, not the most romantic gift but I'm not a fan of purses or jewelry so there it was with a bow on it

For starters:

It's LIGHT, not cheap light, but "I can actually get this off a lower shelf easily" light.

It was super easy to assemble, I almost didn't need directions (but I ALWAYS recommend reading the safety instructions for anything with a blade)

My first juice was what was on hand.

a good chunk of fresh pineapple (about 1/3 of what you see pictured)
a cucumber
2 Granny Smith Apples
a squeeze of lemon (to keep the apples from getting brown)
and a big huge leaf of kale

It took less than2 minutes after the fruits and veggies were cut into pieces that would fit into the feeding tube to make the juice, enough for two nice sized servings.

The juice pitcher has a little top for it that allows you to pour without getting the foam" but I didn't discover that until I'd already drank my first cup. :-)
a little foamy but REALLY tasty

Now for the true test.

Cleaning it.

It could NOT have been easier, just four parts that you can wash with hot water and soap (all but one of which will wash in the top rack of a dishwasher) and I had it clean in about 90 seconds after I removed the pulp. It comes with a long handled brush so you can get the bladed filter basket clean without getting a finger near the sharp bits.
You don't have to compost the pulp. If using an all veggie mix use it to make vegetable stock for soups or stews or add to a veggie loaf.  Carrot/orange juice pulp is great added to whole grain muffins for extra fiber and flavor.  You can also mix a small bowl of pulp with a block of cream cheese (or soy cream cheese) for a great wrap or sandwich spread on which you can pile more veggies.
Juicer Pulp Muffins

Makes10 Vegetarian muffins (use banana and maple syrup for Vegan)
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 and  1/2 cups plus 1 and 1/2 Tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. Cardamon (substitute nutmeg if you wish)
  • 1 cup fresh fruit/veggie pulp from your juicer
  • 1/4 cup vanilla flavored coconut or soy yogurt
  • ½ banana, mashed or one egg
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/4 cup  plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
Note:  If using a pulp that's high in fruit (and thus water content),  you may wish  to omit the extra 2 Tablespoons of "milk"   You want it thick, but not with dry bits in the batter.
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and cardamom together. Then add in the pulp followed by the yogurt, banana (or egg) almond milk, maple syrup (or honey).  If you use plain yogurt add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  3. Mix until just combined and  moist adding more milk if needed.
  4. Add batter to lightly sprayed muffin tin. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes. Muffins will be done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean and the bottoms and sides are just starting to brown.
Now go get JUICING!

4 comments:

  1. This juicer is SO easy to work with I can have one every day! (Sorry Jamba Juice, but I can do it without having to drive 15 miles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a veggie smoothie in the morning. Juicing looks fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juicing would make it so much easier to get in those veggie servings! ANd being easy to clean means it will continue to get used. SOunds like a win-win!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.