Thursday, August 11, 2016

What Six Month of Intense Workouts Feels Like

Fitness isn't a thing, it's a way of thinking.

Six months of intense workouts (as in "do you think I'm a Navy Seal?") once a week with a professional female trainer with strength training equipment, repeating the base exercises at home using my chairs, ball and my free weights 2-3 days more a week, and 60 minutes of cardio daily (holding small weights and wearing a sports bra that makes me look like I'm expecting an assassination attempt) on non strength training days. Friday is no workout -  just a long, brisk walk on my lunch break at a couple of flights of stairs thown in, then home for pizza and several glasses of wine.

I turn 58 this week and I'm stronger than I was at 30 and the 10 or so pounds I gained after I got married is gone.  And I am very proudly wearing short sleeves again.

My husband is great about spotting me, running the timer, and handing me the heavier weights when I'm on the exercise ball.  He's 25 years younger than me so he doesn't understand how hard this was as he's really fit, but he loves me for trying. It helps having the support.

Still hate the kettle ball though. (maybe if it is given the "die evil kettle ball" look it will disappear).

6 comments:

  1. I need to get more into strength training. You are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Kudos... and happy birthday when it arrives!
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and happy almost birthday! Yes, you are right about fitness being a way of thinking. And if that is a picture of you I am thinking you look GREAT!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats so awesome!! Congrats and keep up the good work.
    Thats very inspiring and happy birthday this week!!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane - with just cardio I was losing the weight I wanted but was just SOFT in muscle tone. I'm amazed what the dedicated strength training can do. My husband laughs as I'm constantly touching my arms like "these are really MINE?"

      Delete
    2. Thank you Diane - with just cardio I was losing the weight I wanted but was just SOFT in muscle tone. I'm amazed what the dedicated strength training can do. My husband laughs as I'm constantly touching my arms like "these are really MINE?"

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.