Sunday, May 29, 2016

Caffeine - The Best Part of Waking Up AND a Toning Beauty Treament

Caffeine in beauty products is becoming more and more common.  Why?

Caffeine - when applied to the skin is a vasoconstricter, a diuretic, AND a good antioxidant which results in firming and tightening properties.  Caffeine can also constrict the veins, which is useful in reducing dark circles and puffiness around the eyes.

When applied to areas where cellulite is an issue (that cottage cheese appearance to the skin that often no diet and exercise will help) it has a dehydrating effect on the fat cells, triggering the evacuation of sodium and water and the intake of potassium which can result in the skin in those problem areas looking smoother, at least temporarily.

So I've notice a number of products including some great coffee salt/sugar scrubs on the market. The only issue - they are usually EXPENSIVE.  As I work on getting more firm and tone, keeping my skin in good shape is a priority (no one wants Rocky the Flying Squirrel arms).
Make your own coffee sugar scrub - so much cheaper and if you use the leftover coffee grounds from your morning brew (simply dry out on a plate first) it's beyond cheap, and it works just as well I bought a high end  ($30+) coffee scrub to compare and I could tell no difference in the feel, results and fragrance.

You need  dry coffee grounds
coconut oil
sugar
and fragrance (option).

You can make as little or as much as you want to use in a two week period (about how long it should safely keep).

The ratio is simple

3 parts ground coffee beans
2 parts melted coconut oil
2 parts sugar (the larger crystal type is great, but table sugar will do).

Melt the coconut oil and pour into the coffee grounds in a small glass container.  I used fairly large grounds but if you have delicate skin you can grind a little finer.

Let cool, stirring every so often so the coconut oil doesn't clump as it hardens. (You can put in the refrigerator for a bit to hurry this process up). When cool but still stir-able, stir in sugar (this prevents sugar granules, which are exfoliating as well as moisture drawing, from melting).

Add a few drops of essential oil such as peppermint or spearmint or add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.

Store covered  in a cool place.  In your shower, simply rub on the skin in circular motion and rinse.  For eye firming when you wake up,AN take a teaspoon of coffee grounds and mix a few drops  coconut or olive oil.  Lightly pat under the eye, wait 20 minutes and rinse with cool water.

5 comments:

  1. In this state caffeine is considered rather evil (it's a Mormon thing). So we like to promote its uses BOL! Great post!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm have used this two nights in a row and my skin is SO soft. I did one batch with mint and another with plain vanilla extra. Combined with the coffee my husband said I smelled yummy, but it's a very faint scent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's vanilla EXTRACT. I just used the little essential oils I have in my diffuser for the mint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's vanilla EXTRACT. I just used the little essential oils I have in my diffuser for the mint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds nice, but I try not to put coffee grounds into the septic system here. Will have to think of a way to catch them before they get into the drain.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.