Saturday, January 19, 2019

Dairy, Soy, and Wheat Free Macaroni and Cheese

The original take on Vegan mac and cheese.

One of my favorite foods is Kraft Dinner, or as they call it south of Canada, "Kraft Macaroni and Cheese".  But I'm seriously cutting down on dairy as I just find, the older I get the less I can digest it and the Vegan mac and cheese box meals from the Health Food store have an ingredient list that sounds like a science experiment.

I've tried two different versions of vegan mac and cheese recipes and I think the one below is the best one.  The first batch was made roasted red pepper with lemon juice and baked in the oven but I preferred the stovetop version with the carrot and ACV - it had a sweeter taste without the red pepper and garlic and a creamier texture. You don't have to bake it in the oven, just heat up the "cheese sauce" and stir in some cooked macaroni - or if you are doing low carb or keto - serve it over some steamed broccoli or use it as a dipping sauce for raw veggies. If you are doing carbs but not gluten the Tinkyada Pasta Joy brown rice pasta is the best of all the brands I have tried, very consistent in texture and it doesn't get mushy if you overcook by a minute or two.  I buy it from Amazon.
Vegan Mac and Cheese (soy, gluten, and wheat-free)

1/2 cup raw cashews (I used NOW Foods brand)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
4 Tablespoons Braggs Nutritional Yeast
2 small carrots(about 80 grams) peeled and steamed until soft (do not use "baby carrots" - they are cut out of large, tougher carrots and to me they taste bitter)
1 teaspoon Braggs apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Earth Balance "buttery spread"
1 tsp lite salt
2 pinches black pepper or 1 toothpick swirl Young Living Pepper Vitality Oil
1/8 tsp  plus one pinch of ground nutmeg or one toothpick swirl Young Living  Nutmeg Vitality Oil
When you get up in the morning, cover the nuts with water in a bowl or food processor and soak until you are ready for lunch or dinner (minimum two hours) Drain completely and discard the water.

In food processor blend cashews and 1/2 cup water until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until carrots and chopped onion are incorporated into the liquid and it's smooth. If it's thick and not pourable add another couple of Tablespoons of water. Heat in a saucepan until steaming while you cook enough pasta for 3 servings (I used about a cup and a half dry macaroni). Mix pasta into the sauce and serve immediately.


1 comment:

  1. Funny story - first time I tried to make nut butter in the food processor I broke the blade and now I am not allowed to use the food processor!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.