Saturday, August 19, 2017

Mexican Food Doesn't Mean 2000 calories

I had a craving for Mexican but I knew that if we went to one of the local restaurants I'd have a platter the size of New Jersey preceded by 2 pounds of fried chips and salsa.

Still, I wanted that taste and that crunch.

So I made homemade tostadas.

Rather than buy Tostada shells I just used corn tortillas and lightly sauteed them in a little hot oil, just until crisp, then patted dry to remove most of the grease.  They were topped with some fat-free beans ( pinto's smashed with a little cooking water and a dash of oregano), lettuce, a few strips of leftover chipotle seasoned veggie beef crumbles from a previous meal (you can also replace with Setain) a TINY sprinkle of dairy-free cheddar, fat-free sour cream substitute, mild salsa, a splash of hot sauce,  and a few slices of avocado I served it on a colorful salad plate to give it the appearance of being a larger serving than it was, a great trick I use all the time.

Yummy - and I didn't even miss the chips

2 comments:

  1. Yes, those recipes can be easily trimmed down. And even the veggie choices are delish!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds soo good. I think I will make this next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.