Saturday, July 23, 2022

DIY Dairy Free Yogurt

Since I cut back on cow dairy (to help my eczema) I really missed yogurt but coconut yogurt is expensive. So  I make my own, it saves me about 50 cents a serving, takes just 3 ingredients, and has the texture and tang of dairy yogurt with that one-of-a-kind, subtle sweetness that coconut milk brings. And it's even better with some Strawberry Rhubarb jam from Rachel's Texas Kitchen swirled in

All you need is a yogurt maker, three 400 ml  (13.5 oz) cans of Aroy-D coconut milk, a probiotic capsule (I use Young Living Life 9 with 17 billion active cultures), and 1 tsp cane sugar or 1 Tbsp pasteurized honey.  Be choosy on the coconut milk - some are too thin or get their texture through additives.  Aroy-D  is nice and thick, without the junk. Good alternatives are Savoy Coconut Cream or Whole Foods 365 full fat. 

NOTE: with other, thinner brands I have had to add a vegetable-based gelatin powder to the recipe in order to get the right consistency, such as Agar Agar Powder.  Link for how to do that  - https://bit.ly/3PGGR3B

Step#1: Put the canned coconut milk in the fridge overnight
Step #2: Scoop out the thick coconut cream (the clear liquid will save in the fridge for 2-3 days for smoothies, chia puddings, and curries or you can freeze it)
Step #3: Add contents of probiotic capsule and sweetener (it’s quite thick at this point)
Step #4: Pour into glass jars and set it as directed for your maker (makes about 4 cups of yogurt)
Step #5: When time is up, refrigerate for  6 hours -  It may have a small amount of separated coconut water and appear ‘cracked’ in places–this is normal and it will get creamy when you stir it up (and trust me on the jam add-in YUM!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.