Thursday, May 10, 2018

Solving the Puzzle of Short Eyelashes - DIY Tme

Lash growth products are all the rage right now.  Some are available only by prescription (as they can have some less than desirable possible side effects) and others are available from various beauty companies.  Prices are not cheap though, with some of the high-end ones as much as $150 for one tube.

I tried one of the more expensive ones.  It made my lashes slightly longer after several months, but it made my eyes itch terribly and even cutting back to using a couple of times a week I ended up with a stye in both eyes, which I have never had before. The problematic ingredient may have been isopropyl cloprostenate which is a type of medication called a prostaglandin analog, commonly used to treat glaucoma.  Yes, it has hair growing abilities but at higher levels can cause some serious side effects including changes in iris color, eye infections, and vision impairment.  Even if my product had only a small amount that is NOT something I want to put around my eyes.

So what to use to make my stubby eyelashes longer without irritation?

DIY time. This lash serum is all natural, it's easy to make and it costs less than $2 per ounce to make.  I saw results in 3 weeks, though I was applying both day and night (note:  it does leave a slightly wet finish to the lash so in the daytime it's this or mascara but not both).

The rosemary and lavender essential oils both promote hair growth and help prevent hair loss.

Castor oil is hands down the best carrier oil to use if you’re looking for any type of increased hair growth including your hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows. It’s literally food for your hair because of its follicle nourishing fatty acids, proteins, and vitamins that help lock in moisture and nutrients, protect the hair shaft and encourage dramatic hair growth. It has been used to reduce thinning hair, and even help prevent hair loss. And it's non-irritating. So why not give it a go on lashes?

How to make:

You will need a one-ounce glass bottle.  I got mine from Royal Green Market through Amazon, 4 for $9.99. 
You will need one or two clean mascara tubes (do NOT reuse one that previously contained mascara).  I got a couple from Elaia Beauty LLC through Amazon for $8.99.  They are clear, making it easy to see when you need to refill and the rubber insert you pull the brush through to remove excess product easily removes so you can wash and sanitize the whole thing before refilling.

Lastly, though you can find cheaper castor oils, I went with the cosmetic grade black castor oil from Jamaica from IQ Natural, through Amazon, for $13.99  Black castor oil is slightly more alkaline than regular castor oil and is made without any chemical processing.

Lastly, two bottles of essential oil from the local health food store (or Amazon if you want to order everything online).  I can use these in my diffuser as well as making the lash serum as a little goes a long way.  I paid $17 for two 1-ounce bottles at a nearby health food store that was having a sale.

Making the serum is easy.
In 1-ounce glass bottle with stopper, add 1 drop each of essential oils of lavender and rosemary. (if you get two drops by accident no worries, that's not enough to irritate the eye, at least not for me).

Fill remaining bottle a little more than 3/4 of the way with castor oil (if you fill it to the top it will overflow when you add the stopper). Put on the stopper/ lid and roll in your hands or shake to let product blend.  Using the funnel that came with the Elaia brand mascara tubes or the stopper from the 1-ounce bottle fill the mascara tube, adding rubber insert and brush to close. Store remaining mixture in the 1-ounce bottle in a cool, dry place.

Apply at least once per day. It can be used on eyebrows as well, though I make sure I wash my face first to keep the mascara brush as uncontaminated as possible.

3 comments:

  1. Just curious, would it likely work on eyebrows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've noticed them more longer than thicker but with a brush it makes for a better looking brow.

      Delete
  2. Glad you found something that works and is not hard on your eyes or wallet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.