Monday, March 6, 2017

You Glo Girl - A Review of Honey Girl Skin Care

I have posted before of the various skin care lines I have tried that are organic.  Some were great but too expensive to use daily, and others aren't available locally or have gone out of production.  I have certain "go to" products that I use throughout the year - my Frangipani acne serum for those hormonal breakouts that I get post menopause and her wonderful foamy cleanser that is great post workout, Meadowlake Farms healing salves and soaps, Morningsong Gardens body lotion bars, beeswax candles, and lip balms (their creams are also wonderful), Toadstool Soaps (Etsy) handcrafted shampoo and condition, makeup by Bee Naturals in St. Louis, and last but not least, the wonderful bath and body products of Sacs & Company in Indiana.

I really like how my skin is looking since switching to organic products especially in that it's been shown that what we put on our skin ends up in our bloodstream. I'm almost 59, and people still think I'm in my early/mid 40's.  Good nutrition and skin care has made a huge difference.

But this winter, with all of the dry air, my skin was especially dry and irritated and I tried some honey and olive oil based products that I really liked after my beloved Simply Birgit line of honey-based organics had to close shop due to some health and family changes for the owner.

Honey Girl Organics.  Located in Hawaii, all of the products are hand-crafted from the rich vibrant nectars of organically grown flowers. This nectar is transformed into nutrient dense honey and beeswax by the magical work of bees. Honey Girl mindfully harvests and blends this honey and beeswax into HGO's pure product formulations under low heat using minimal processing methods to ensure you receive the best quality creams. From the farm directly to your doorstep!

I tried their cleanser, both regular and for super sensitive skin, face and eye cream, both regular and sensitive, skin food, toner, serum, mask, scrub, and nail/cuticle cream.

The super sensitive line has the olive oil, beeswax, and honey that the regular line does for great moisturization but doesn't have the citrus essential oils that add Vitamin C but can possibly irritate the most sensitive of skin (which would be me).  I didn't have any irritation with the regular line but liked there was a choice without paying more.  I also got some small samples of products with each order I place (I've already reordered).
The cleanser is super concentrated and just takes one pump from the plastic container (no glass in the shower - a plus).  You can also place a drop on a cotton pad to remove makeup directly.  It left my skin clean and very soft.

The toner is great for all skin types.  In the morning, I don't wash so not to strip my super dry skin.  I simply put a little toner on the pad and wipe to get rid of any dirt that's accumulated during sleep. Made from simply purified water, honey propolis, essential oils and witch hazel, it combats wrinkles and puffiness by stimulating blood flow in the capillaries as well as balances sebum production, which benefits both oily and dry skin types.

The Scrub - OK this is my new "Holy Grail" product and made me feel like I'd had one of those uber expensive spa facial treatments. Made with pure aloe butter, super -fine cane sugar, organic diatomaceous earth (to draw out impurities), aloe gel, raw Pupukea wildflower honey, organic coconut oil, essential oils and grapefruit seed extract.  I just rubbed a bit over dry skin, wiped off with a damp washcloth, used the toner and my skin was as soft as can be.  It also didn't irritate my rosacea which is a huge plus.

The mask it also amazing, crafted from their wildflower honey, organic diatomaceous earth, french green clay, Hawaiian blue-green algae, royal jelly and propolis from honey, you will both deep clean and feed your skin as the mask stimulates collagen production.

You apply it to slightly moist skin.  It's a green cream mask that when applied in a thin layer with a couple of drops of warm water quickly goes on and then dries.  I couldn't resist when I saw my green face in the mirror.  I squeezed into my husbands one size smaller than me jeans and T-shirt, then opened the bathroom door where he was sitting in view in the dining room and did my best Incredible Hulk stance and growl.  He laughed and muttered something about "other guys have normal wives" but I couldn't resist. Fifteen minutes later, in the bathtub, the mask removed easily with warm water. My face just glowed.

The Super skin food is a moisturizer that has greater concentrations of nourishing ingredients than the face and eye cream and felt great after the mask.  It would work for oilier skin as well.  For my super dry skin I think I would stick with the face/eye cream or the night cream but everyday use but it was wonderful after the mask. One nice thing is it only takes the smallest amount of product so it will last a long time.
I also am definitely going to repurchase the Honeyglo Regenerating Face Serum.  At nearly $50 for a bottle, I didn't think I would but it takes just ONE pump to cover the whole face with this rich but quickly absorbed serum and it was half the price of a pure carrot seed oil extract I'd been using. I think this bottle will last several months even using it daily.

HoneyGlo Face Serum contains five rich plant-based oils:

 Organic Hemp Oil, a rich source of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. These fatty acids improve chronic dry skin conditions—dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema—and calm acne.

Hemp oil also helps prevent moisture loss and premature aging, and its high levels of vitamin D promote soft, smooth, and hydrated skin.

Organic Jojoba Oil is actually a liquid plant wax similar to our own skin sebum. It’s advanced molecular stability, mild odor & color, and high absorbency makes this an excellent oil for skin care. It helps with any imbalance in the skin, like psoriasis and eczema, and has the ability to repair.

Organic Rosehip Seed Oil is considered a ‘dry oil’, meaning it leaves no greasy residue. This oil is extremely high in essential fatty acids and is a great agent in fighting dry, weathered and dehydrated skin. It works wonders on scars, fine lines, and wrinkles. Rosehip seed oil is particularly high in vitamin C, linoleic acid (omega 6 oil), oleic acid (omega 9 fatty acid), lycopene (antioxidant) and beta-carotene (pro-vitamin A and antioxidant).

Organic Carrot Seed Oil has strong antioxidant properties, helping in the reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. They also sent samples of other products such as body cream and foot cream which I'm going to try.

This serum was really soothing on my winter chapped skin which totally aggravated my Rosacea and noticeably softened the lines around my eyes.
 Winter attacked skin, before Honeygirl (no foundation just mascara)
Winter skin post Honeygirl (no foundation just mascara)

The nail and cuticle cream softens and removes excess cuticle while providing nutrition for stronger and healthier cuticles and nails.  After just a few weeks my dry nails that regularly tore with home improvement work and gardening were healthier healthyier looking.
Shipping is fairly quick, even though it's from Hawaii and the products are also found in many Whole Foods.  I will definitely be using these products again.  After several weeks of use, my face is clear with no blemishes whatsoever and SO soft.  When they say the products will have you "glowing" without any unneccesary ingredients, preservatives or chemicals they are not kidding.   Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Cruelty Free.

Big thumbs up Honey Girl!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice introduction and review. Of course your complexion is the best advertising!!

    C

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.