Wednesday, August 3, 2016

KD Please

Why yes, I DO like Kraft Dinner.

My fellow Americans are probably looking at this and scratching their head.  As one of my friends mentioned earlier when I posted a homemade mac and cheese dinner, in Canada the Kraft Blue Box is called Kraft Dinner as opposed to Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in the states. Known affectionately as KD, it's so popular Kraft Canada recently changed the packaging to reflect the name.

I was born and raised in the US but in college there was many a weekend we drove north and met other students in Vancouver, B.C., sharing food and fun. Being broke college students we often ate Kraft Dinner. There is also a couple of Canadians in my extended family and when I lived in the Northeast I dated a couple of Canadians over the years (both defense/military). I'm so glad my journey took me to my  Illinois born husband, but I cherish the introduction to Kraft dinner (and Montreal bagels, donairs, beaver tails and poutine!)
US Kraft Macaroni and Cheese (current version).
Canadian KD (with that neon orange we remember).

There's a reason Canadians purchase 1.7 million of the 7 million boxes sold globally each week, eating 55% more than Americans.  It's just part of the food culture and I won't be alone when I say "it tastes better than the US Version."

I'm not sure why, the box weighs 225 grams compared to the 206 grams for the US Version  It looks to be about the same amount of pasta but the cheese package for the KD is definitely plumper. The wheat is also from Canada.
Ingredients are also a little different.  On the American mac and cheese "cheese culture" is listed as the LAST ingredient, and cheddar cheese is the SECOND ingredient in the Canadian version. The US version also has Calcium Phosphate which the Canadian dinner does not.  The Canadian version also has 200 milligrams LESS sodium per serving. The American version is now colored with natural ingredients, the Canadian version is colored with "colour" (the "u" in "colour" must stand for "unknown", but we don't eat Kraft dinner for our health, it's for the smiles)

The American directions call for 1/4 cup cheese and 4 tablespoons of butter.  The Canadian calls for 1/3 cup milk and only 1 Tablespoon of butter. Much better for you and honestly, it made for a creamy, more moist mac and cheese.
The macaroni is also a different size the Canadian one being a little curved and smaller.

When my husband came home, and I had just finished making it to go with the barbecued chicken, he sort of turned up his nose at it asking "is that the stuff that smells like the air around the factory in Champagne/Urbana?", not being a Kraft mac and cheese fan.  I let him sniff, he smiled and said "mmm!" and took a big spoonful.

"That's GOOD and it's richer!,"he said and asked for more.  (The richer taste surprising since it's 1/4 of the fat of the US Version).

If you don't have a Canadian friend to send you a care package with some, you can order it from

http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

I get my Dare cookies and marmalade from them and they are great to order from and they do carry KD.

When I can get my hands on the KD it's still my guilty comfort food a couple of times a month. Yes, I try and cook food with real ingredients from scratch a lot more often now.  But sometimes you just have to have a meal that's fun or simply a memory and this is it for me.

We won't mention the little maple sandwich cookies I'm going to eat afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.