Saturday, July 30, 2016

Vegan Sourdough Eikhorn Pancakes

Having great fun with my Jovial Eikhorn flour I purchased, I tried to come up with a fluffy pancake that was not only vegan (as I eat meat free at least two days a week) but was extremely low in gluten. Eikhorn flour, which is not hybridized, is VERY low in gluten compared to genetically modified modern wheat flour and most people that are gluten sensitive (not Celiac) can eat it without issues.

I'm not  sensitive (unless I eat a huge portion) but I love the taste and it IS more digestible than wheat flour.  The sourdough starter doesn't leaven, as these have no rise time, but add healthy probiotics and a nice taste.

Vegan Sourdough Eikhorn Pancakes  (they're so fluffy!)

3/4 cup sourdough starter (made with whole wheat Eikhorn flour and wild yeast sourdough starter from Azure Standard)
1/2 cup Eikhorn flour (I used regular, not the whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash of vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons vegan buttery spread (melted) or vegetable oil
egg substitute:
1 T. flax seeds
3 Tablespoons warm water

Put 1 Tablespoon of flax seeds in a blender or food processor and pulse until ground.  Place in small bowl and add thewarm water, stir and set aside for 5 minutes so it can "gel".

Mix sourdough starter, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and soda in a bowl.  Add egg institute and 2 Tablespoons melted vegan buttery spread or vegetable oil.  Add enough milk so that the batter is quite  thick but pourable (this depends on the amount of liquid in your sourdough starter).  For a thick starter it may be as much as 1/2 cup, for a watery starter, it may only be 1/4.  Add the smaller amount in, stir, they add more as necessary.

Cook on preheated griddle until starting to bubble up in the center, with dry edges, flip and finish. Serve with buttery spread and syrup or jam.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I think I got stuffed just looking at that photo! I'm a pancakes-are-for-supper kinda gal. Didn't like them for years and then one day that changed. Funny how that happens! Enjoy!

    C

    PS - Maybe your next book should be a cookbook??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookbooks are a complete pain to set up, format and proofread, the part of being an author I hate. With the internet oversaturated with them, I'd just lose money and not have any fun. But thanks for thinking my recipes are worth it.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.