Sunday, April 24, 2016

Your Breakfast Sandwich Just Got Better

Hot breakfast sandwiches are always tasty, but the frozen ones are typically really high in sodium with added sugar, and the fast food ones have sugar in them and WAY more sodium than you want. (a bacon egg and cheese biscuit from McDonald's has almost 1300 grams of sodium!)

Sure you can buy an English muffin to assemble one at home, though to me, the whole wheat ones are way too "dense".  I was looking for something a little lighter and fluffier as my egg transport system.  Homemade whole wheat sourdough rounds!  They are perfect for a quick breakfast before you head out the door, or on a Saturday morning before chores.  My version was vegetarian with soy "sausage" as I eat meat free several meals a week, but you can make with breakfast meat of your choice.
They have the texture of a biscuit but are made thin, almost like a muffin top. Quite soft and fluffy inside due to the whole wheat pastry flour, they are still sturdy enough to make a sandwich with a delicate taste that pairs well with about anything..  They are also super easy to make (3 minutes to  mix up) and are also good heated up for dinner with less than 130 calories per generous sized  round.
Use a smaller salad plate for your meals, you'll be less
 likely to go back for "seconds".

Using my Azure Standard



I got the recipe off of the Azure Standard blog (and if the person that came up with this wants credit - please drop me a line as I'm not sure who came up with it). Simply mix up a cup of the starter with a cup of cream, a cup and a half of  Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour and 1 teaspoon of salt.  Stir, and drop on  by 1/8 cup measures on a  large cookie sheet sprayed with natural non-stock spray (makes about a dozen)  Cover with plastic wrap also sprayed with non stock spray on the underside  and a kitchen towel and let rise overnight OR rise in a warm place for 3-4 hours. They flatten out so leave several inches between then.  Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes, until bottoms are browning slightly.

They are very soft and tender and just the right thickness for a breakfast (or lunch) sandwich .

I made  these Saturday and assembled the sandwich with a fried egg,Trader Joe's vegetarian breakfast "sausage" which are pre-cooked and just heat up in the microwave, and a small sprinkle of cheddar. The best part, though these are not "low sodium"  with the pre-cooked "sausage", they were still 1/3 the sodium of a fast food  breakfast biscuit sandwich with NO added sugar.  Plus we were getting whole grain nutrition.

That's nothing to joke about.

5 comments:

  1. Hari Om
    Oooohh, this made me go looking for UK availability of sourdough starter - and found the recipe instead! Simple as... and am all for yeast-free breads. Yum.
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think commercial yeasts are really good for you. I'm using the wild sourdough starter for ALL my breads. I'm going to try sourdough blackberry muffins later, when my husband is done with some plaster work in the kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The chicken is crock pot and sprinkled with a half cup of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegarette, a heaping teaspoon of crushed garlic, crushed red pepper and a little brown sugar. The fingerling potatoes we got from a local dairy farm. Wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Yum, that breakfast sandwich looks delicious! Of course at first glance I thought the sourdough rounds were cookies but when I focused my eyes I saw that in fact they were not! I must have cookies on my brain. We got rid of our "normal" sized dinner plates a couple years back. I had forgotten how big "normal" was until I saw a store display. Yup, good idea to get rid of those "normal" sized plates!

    C

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.