Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Lactose may not be Your Issue, rBHG May Be - Loving Dairy Again

Those of us over 50 remember the neighborhood milkman.  When I was a kid in the late 60's, we had a white box outside the garage side door to which fresh milk, butter and cottage cheese would be delivered.  Since we butchered a steer each year to add to the fish Dad regularly caught, with most of the veggies and fruit coming from our garden, that saved  a trip to the store.  That was a blessing for my busy Mom, especially as she fought cancer those early years of my life, before we lost her to a smoking related cancer.

Now look - it's not a "box" but I have a "cooler on my porch this morning and it's filled with dairy products and other goodies - delivered just like the old days!

How did this happen?

You all remember my attempt to go dairy free?

No, that is not a roof shingle, it's a high end frozen pizza with fake "cheese".

The "cheese" did not melt". It just solidified and the crust needed a camping tool to cut. (We couldn't find the chain saw).   I'm thinking if it weren't for the price (almost $10 for a single, serves two, pizza) I could buy a few of these and put a new roof on the house. (Except the vegan Hansel and Gretel would then come and nibble on it.)

Even the Abby the rescue dog wouldn't eat it.
Hey!  Mom that is NOT cheese!

But dairy, quite frankly, upset my stomach.  I never had problems with it as a kid, but suddenly as an adult, I had issues. Sure - I'd eat it once in a while as I loved it but there was always a price.  Did I change - or over the years, was it the dairy?

I found out when  I tried some


ice cream at a friend's house in Indiana. (click on the name for their website) Not only was it the best ice cream I'd eaten in a long time, NO gastrointestinal side effects!  I could eat ice cream and go alpine  rock climbing!  I could eat ice cream and race motorcycles. OK, maybe I could eat ice cream and sit within 3 feet of my husband on the couch without embarrassing noises coming from my intestinal tract, how about THAT!

But I couldn't understand why I  could eat that dairy farm's product and not that of the cheap dairy I was buying at the chain grocers?.

I tried more Oberweis products back  home in Chicago - no tummy upset.   Could it be that I'm not lactose intolerant, but it's the growth hormones that the cows of my mass produced chain store milk and ice cream are loaded up with?  I did some research and sure enough, genetically engineered rBGH, can cause stomach upset in people.
I'm NOT lactose intolerant, I'm rBGH sensitive. The dairy I had been eating was from the big box mart type stores, and mass produced.    Woot!  I can eat dairy again, just dairy from non- stressed, rBGH (bovine growth hormone) free cows.   I wrote the company and received a kind thank you back in reply with this information:

That is why rather than purchasing comingled milk from any number of high-output farms, we pay a premium to families who care about producing milk as a way of life and who treat their animals well--no rBGH and no antibiotics. We know the quality of raw milk improves measurably when a cow is not stressed, and we start with the very best raw milk available.

Our milk is taken from their farms to our plant every day where we gently heat the milk to the lowest acceptable temperature to kill bacteria but retain taste and nutrients. This gentle pasteurization process that Oberweis has been using for generations is NOT the High Temperature Short Time method that is standard in the mass-production dairy industry.

Then when milk is bottled in glass, protected from light and extremes in temperature, that great quality milk arrives at your door in a condition that is as close to its original nature as possible. Both the serious attention to herd health and to the treatment of the fresh raw milk are key to the top quality and nutrition that Oberweis dairy is known for. It is not a fad for us, and as you noted, you can truly taste the difference!"

Thank you Patricia from Oberweis Dairy! So I was back to two-three servings a day of dairy, which is helping my waistline because that extra protein each day, with my dairy servings, is  keeping me full and not wanting to munch on junk food because I'm hungry mid day.  I can even have a little bowl of ice cream after my workouts with no ill effects or weight gain. In one study out of the University of Tennessee, researchers showed that eating three servings of dairy daily significantly reduced body fat in obese subjects. If they restricted calories a bit while continuing with the same dairy servings, it accelerated fat and weight loss.

Plus, with my hectic schedule (full time job at secret squirrel headquarters, 95 year old Dad, husband, and a 3rd and 4th book my publisher is actually expecting me to write over the next two years) not having to hit the grocers every week is great. So I love the delivery option (with a small one time fee for the cooler). Our freezer, like Mom's, is  full of home grown and home baked items and food purchased and prepared in bulk so I really don't want to have to drive to the store every week. They even deliver fresh (never frozen) pastas, spring water and other beverages, breads, and desserts at prices quite competitive with your local grocers, given the time and the gas you will save.

Yes, our tiny  temporary countertop is a board, and the kitchen looks
 like the house in  "Green Acres".  We're in the middle of a major remodel.

I realize that there are many people truly lactose intolerant and I'm sorry they're missing out.  But by, by simply changing the quality of the dairy I was consuming, I can enjoy it again.

No more Franken-dairy means no more upset stomach.  If you live in the Midwest, you may have a local Oberweis dairy store in your area, and the ice cream and milk are often available in many chain grocers if delivery is not available in your area.  So go have a treat!

Thank you Oberweis dairy.  I can enjoy the dairy of my youth again and it's some of the tastiest and freshest dairy I've had in years.  My stomach (and my pizza) thank you
Warning - my infamous "white pizza" with Oberweis Garlic Alfredo, cheddar and Parmesan, sun-dried tomatoes and olives is not a diet plan pizza, but if you eat it on Tuesday while standing up I have been told the calories don't count.

6 comments:

  1. Braum's milk is also hormone free, and comes from their private dairy. Tastes really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I've not seen them up here, but I usually stopped at a Braum's for a burger when I'm in Oklahoma city, where I had a nephew and his wife living for many years.

      Delete
  2. I really want to go vegan but I can't give up cheese. Does this mean I don't love animals?? I pretty much don't eat meat. Off topic but this made me think of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    Yes, last year on my blog, I went on a bit of a rant about mass-milk production, not just from p.o.v. of quality of product, but from the treatment of the cattle as well as the rough deal most farmers get. Not to mention the nutritional deficits of all the processed stuff we are sold. Taking all the 'stuff' out of milk and then artificially sticking it back in does NOT provide what decent, organic/raw milk can. In my practice I started to get frustrated at the number of folks who came in with a diagnosis of 'lactose intolerance' and now suffering from over-consumption of soy product (which are mostly GM affected)... sigh.... My own fave dairy here (Ahimsa Milk) is undergoing strife at the moment due to UK regulations but I can access good organic milk from a Scottish family establishment a bit similar to what you describe here. You (and others) may like to watch this short film on the chemistry of raw milk. It does make the very important point that one must be fully aware of source; large production dairies are starting to jump on the bandwagon a bit and marketing 'organic/raw' milk, but really it is still inferior and actually may contain health risk. Making the decision to pay the premium (here in UK it can be double and more) price for good product is quite a step - I just know that it is one foodstuff I try not to compromise; but it can be an uphill battle. Wouldn't it be great to all be able to have a 'community cow' in our yards?!!
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great discovery so you can add dairy back! I decided awhile ago that life was too short to skimp on cheese or ice cream. Lines must be drawn somewhere!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just an update - I've had no stomach issues after 2 weeks of Oberwe4is products 2 times a day. The cottage cheese with fruit makes a great light meal and even adding in a little ice cream a couple of days of week, I lost a pound and a half this week, adding dairy and a few more servings of veggies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.