Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Pasta Shouldn't Hurt - a Lighter take on Fettuccine

I love fettuccine Alfredo.  But it doesn't like me much, between the dairy, fat and calories it's more like OW-fredo.

But what to do with my fettuccine noodle?  How about a lighter  fettuccini dish, with a simple white wine sauce and herbs. As for the wine type, do NOT use anything labeled cooking wine - if it's not fit to drink, I don't want to use it in cooking. Pinot Grigio is good if you are pairing this with fish.  If you're making a vegetarian dish and pairing it with salad or side vegetables use a Sauvignon Blanc.

The sauce is very light, infused with wine, not cream, but the crushed red pepper, sage, and basil give it a nice little zip.

 Fettucini in white wine sauce (serves 4-6 as main or side dish)

Start with 3/4 of a small box of pasta. (about 3/4 lb dry).  While that cooks -

Saute 2 generous teaspoons of minced garlic in two Tablespoons of olive oil  until softened.

Add 1/2 cup white wine, 1/4 teaspoon Jane's Krazy Salt (a lower sodium salt/herb blend, or just use table salt) and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil, cooking until liquid is reduced by half.

Add a pinch of crushed red pepper, a pinch of sage and  2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, reducing heat  to low and letting butter melt.

Remove from heat and whisk in 2 and 1/2 Tablespoons of lemon juice.

Toss with 1/2 cup  parmagiano-reggiano cheese, some torn fresh basil and additional crushed red pepper, if desired.

3 comments:

  1. I am not an alfredo lover(which is probably a good thing because I can't eat gluten and I shouldn't eat dairy), however, that looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband, Mr. Meat and Potatoes, really liked it. Dairy and I don't get along, but we occasionally have a hook up which is usually followed by a gastrointestinal fight, at which point I vow never to hook up again, but I do. I HAVE found I do unsweetened Greek Yogurt OK, and a little hard Italian cheese but anything else is painful.

      Delete
  2. You sure had me drooling here! Can I get some garlic bread to go with that?

    C

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.