Friday, February 12, 2016

Not your Typical Shells and cheese

I love macaroni and cheese made with pasta shells as they trap all of the sauce.  That's NOT a good idea while watching calories.  But I wanted pasta the other night, and threw this together.  It had a wonderful taste and was much lower in fat than most pasta sauces. I think it would also be good on spaghetti squash, "zoodles" or on cabbage, sauteed until limp.

Brown 1 pound ground turkey breast or use a package of Gardein "beef" crumbles with:
a small handful of diced onion or celery
a teaspoon of olive oil.

Drain and add:
1 jar of Raos brand marinara sauce (my favorite jarred sauce at the grocery store)
a heaping teaspoon of minced garlic (optional)
a heaping teaspoon of dried basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon raw honey
1 can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilis (or fire roasted tomatoes), undrained.

Heat to a simmer, then reduce heat to low to blend while you cook half of a box of the shells. Taste, adding a pinch more red pepper if you wish or salt and pepper to taste (with canned or jarred ingredients I do NOT add salt, but salt and my relationship is pretty much "we can just be friends").

Serve  in a soup bowl over the large shells (bigger than the Velveeta shells and cheese ones), which may be in the "gourmet" pasta section.   The shells are perfect as this is a very "saucy" sauce and the shells just cradle that, holding in all the liquid to mix with the dollop of fresh low-fat  Ricotta cheese on top, that you stir in to make it all creamy.

My husband was laughing at me for calling it "more saucy". (He's an engineer, I'm a science type". He said "you mean less viscous" to which I replied.  "Yes, Les Viscous, the little brother of the punk rocker Sid Viscous".

Silliness aside, it was a great supper and made enough for three meals for the two of us.

1 comment:

  1. Hari OM
    I am a huge fan of the shells... but have managed to wean myself off them, using the twisty stuff instead - still 'holds' but without the 'hug'... but am also gradually reducing the pasta as it was becoming the quick'n'easy habit. Sigh...
    Eyes-on... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Having been fortunate enough not to have to diet as a young woman - hitting middle age to find my Metabolism moved to Aruba and didn't even send a postcard was a rude awakening. Thanks for sharing the fun and the pain of getting back in shape. Note: If you are a stranger and include a link in your comment - it will not be posted, to ensure no SPAM or viruses are shared. Any link I post is tested first.